We Are Houston’s Premier Tub-to-Shower Conversion Experts
Tub-to-shower conversions provide a roomier and more accessible bathing experience, and can give your bathroom an instant makeover. However, this project needs to be done carefully. At Simplicity Bath, we offer turn-key tub to shower conversions and shower remodels throughout Houston.
Our Process For Tub-to-Shower Conversions
If you’d like to replace a bathtub with a shower, your first step is a short call with us. When you’re ready, reach out at 832-464-7251.
On our call, we’ll discuss your needs and expectations, provide budget guidance, and go over any high-level concerns. We’ll then set up an on-site meeting to dig into the details, and firm up your exact scope of work.
If you’re only wanting a tub-to-shower conversion, we’ll provide you with a firm-price proposal during our visit.
Once you’ve hired us, we’ll begin the significant back-end planning required to make your project come to life. As you might have guessed, there’s a lot more to a proper tub-to-shower conversion than what you see on HGTV and the bath infomercials.
Here’s our construction process, in brief:
- We’ll carefully remove your old tub or shower area back to the studs, so we can ensure there are no framing, pest, mold, or plumbing issues before we begin to rebuild.
- With the walls open, we’ll examine your old plumbing, framing, and insulation. If applicable, we’ll discuss any problem areas with you and conduct repairs. For most projects, we’ll also upgrade you to a solid-brass, pressure-balancing shower valve that helps control temperature fluctuations, and then test all connections.
- Next, we’ll prep the shower walls and floor, before installing TCNA-compliant waterproofing for your chosen shower system.
- Finally, we’ll build your new shower using industry best practices, NOT industry standard practices. The final product will meet or exceed code guidelines, and last as long as your home.
- At completion, we’ll review our work with you, make any needed adjustments or touch-ups, and “hand over the keys” once it’s completely finished.
Leak-Free Shower Materials
As a truly custom bathroom builder, we offer several materials for your tub-to-shower conversion. You can view these in more detail here.
For example, we offer TCNA-compliant tile with the German-engineered Schluter-Kerdi waterproofing system (as in the photo to the right), as well as robust solid surface from The Onyx Collection. We can even build with a combination of tile and solid surface, as in the photo below. Our Onyx Collection and Schluter-Kerdi systems each include a manufacturer’s lifetime guarantee.
We are not a “one-day-bath” company and do not aggressively push particular products. Instead, our goal is to educate and inform so you can understand what is possible, then make the best choice for your unique project. Our clients take solace in knowing that we build showers properly, to high standards, by emphasizing quality first, and speed second.
Many of our clients love the look of tile, and we do, too. It IS possible to have beautiful, leak-free tile for your shower – and we’ve been doing it since 2014. Check out our Portfolio for many examples of showers we’ve built with tile, right here in Houston.
Tile does have it’s “proclivities,” however, and we want you to be aware of them:
- Tile requires more installation time than slab products, typically 1.5 – 2x.
- To avoid failures, tile must be set by properly-skilled artisans, and tested carefully for waterproof integrity.
- Tile has grout. You can choose a high-end grout that doesn’t require sealing, or go with a standard grout and re-seal it as often as necessary. High end grouts are harder to install, but far easier to clean and more color-fast for the long term.
- Proper tile work is artisan in nature, requiring more skill and time to install properly than pre-fabricated and slab shower products, so it comes with a higher price tag.
Once you understand these things, tile isn’t a stessful proposition – you simply need to hire the right people for the job. We’ll help you decide which product is right for you during our on-site visit.
Oversize Tub-To-Shower Conversions
If you’re looking to enlarge and expand your current master bath shower, we’re happy to create one HUGE shower experience for you.
We can enlarge small showers into the entire footprint where an adjacent tub once sat (as in the photo to the right), or, come out only part of the way (as in the picture below). If your new shower comes only part of the way into the prior tub’s footprint, the remaining space can be used for a “dry-off” area, as below.
Many homeowners have understandable initial concerns about the resale value of their home without a tub in the master, and the shower possibly being “too big.” However, we’ve never had a homeowner be anything but thrilled with the end result.
If a big shower is your number one concern, and you are OK eliminating the tub in your master bath, it may be worth it to consider this thoroughly-rewarding luxury project. A shower like this is an investment into your quality of life.
Side benefit: if you plan on staying in your home forever, a shower like this is a big boost for your long-term safety and independence.
Pricing for large showers starts in the mid- $20,000’s and can exceed $40,000. Total cost depends on sizing, location within your home, and the materials and options you select.
As far as timing, it can take anywhere from two to four weeks to build these projects in your space. For example, the shower at the top of this page took three and a half weeks, from start to finish. Solid surface materials will reduce your build timeframe, versus tile or stone slabs. Custom options and features will require more time to build.
Specialized Solutions for Safety: Walk-In Showers, Roll-In Showers, & Accessible Bathing
Over the years, we’ve built hundreds of safety-oriented tub-to-shower conversions, walk-in showers, and roll-in showers for seniors and mobility-impaired individuals. Here are our most important takeaways from these experiences:
- Details are critical. Close, professional guidance is the best way to get the right form, function, sizing, and accessibility for you. Sometimes, you have to think outside the box and get creative.
- There is no “one size fits all.” Your unique needs and situation must always be top of mind. We’ll offer advice and recommendations based on ADA guidelines and our experiences with previous clients. You choose what works for you.
- Beauty is also important! Your new daily-use shower needs to look the part AND add value to your home. We’ll discuss design and product choices, then look at samples, to make sure your new tub-to-shower conversion looks and feels the way you want.
- Common options we’re requested to build include zero-threshold shower entries, custom bench seats, folding teak seats, moved or added plumbing features, foot rests, soap niches, grab bars, and, sometimes, wall removals or modifications. We can accommodate all of these.
- Sometimes, our clients want additional safety-oriented or remodeling work in their bathroom. We’re usually able to do this at the same time as the shower project. If desired, we can replace your flooring, widen doors and entryways, install pedestal sinks or wall-mount vanities, and change lighting, mirrors, trim, and paint.
As a design-build bath company, our clients aren’t limited to standard, off-the-shelf solutions. However, we also recognize the need to work within your existing space, and avoid knocking out walls, for most clients.
We build these types of showers throughout Greater Houston, including Katy, Richmond, Cypress, Memorial, Bellaire, and inside the 610 Loop. If you’d like to know if we service your specific area, give us a call.